Opening

On July 1, 2016 a team of missionaries from Elevate Church in Monroe Michigan will travel to Choluteca, Honduras to work with the Grand Commission Church to build a home and share the Gospel. The team will be working in the Brisas del Rio area serving and being served while on mission. The team will share our experiences and how God is changing our lives on this blog.

Friday, July 8, 2016

Making a House a Home.

Today is day 8. Today we finished up Ana's house. Some were painting, some were finishing the framing and concrete board. At the end we had the privilege of building Ana a "custom" table. This was exciting to me because not only did it personalize the house more, but it was an opportunity to make her feel extra special. Not only was she chosen to receive this blessing of a brand new house, but now we were also including some upgrades including screws sticking out in the doorways so she can hang her curtains. The table we made her was simply a few cuts of wood and some concrete board that was left over, but from the smile on her face you would have thought it was granite.

We surprised her with a little housewarming party of sorts including words of gratitude and joy from Paula on behalf of our team and Elevate and also from Ana. She is very fluent and clever in her speech. I like that about her. She joked and laughed and was full of thanks. At one point she began to tear up as she told us how grateful she was that now she will not have to sleep on plastic or get wet when it rains. Wow. Powerful. Just another reminder of how blessed we are back home. I thanked Ana for allowing me to be a part of building her home because I really am humbled and grateful I had the opportunity to be a part of such a blessing on her life. I hope she felt important today. I hope she knows that we did all of this from our hearts and with sincerity.


I can't say that I will go home and sell all my possessions, become a full time global missionary, or that I will never step into TJ Maxx ever again...because lying is a sin! But I can say with certainty that the servants part of my heart was sparked when God put this trip in my path, and that spark has certainly turned to a flame. The theme of tonight's small group we attended was hardships and also how when you give of yourself, God will bless you ten fold. Not to say that you should serve others in hope of receiving blessings - because God knows your heart and your motives. Colossians 3:23 states: “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters."


Blessings,
Emily


2 comments:

  1. Love the look on Ana's face! Great reminder of how blessed we are here at home. Praying for a safe trip back for you all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete