Opening

On July 1, 2016 a team of missionaries from Elevate Church in Monroe Michigan will travel to Choluteca, Honduras to work with the Grand Commission Church to build a home and share the Gospel. The team will be working in the Brisas del Rio area serving and being served while on mission. The team will share our experiences and how God is changing our lives on this blog.

Sunday, July 3, 2016

"Regular" Life

Today was officially day 3 here in Honduras! As I sit in my bunk, it's actually crazy to think in a week I will be back home, getting readjusted to "regular" life again. The people that I had the privilege of meeting today certainly are already affecting my outlook on "regular" life. As we walked into the community, there were dirt roads, houses made some of sticks and bricks, holes in the ceilings, no windows or doors...but the people were very warm and welcoming. There was one woman in particular who came right over and hugged me and welcomed me (in Spanish of course). We then played a sort of icebreaker game and her and I were instant partners! It was very eye opening and special to connect with someone on a personal level like that when you can't even understand each other. She didn't know anything about me but yet she welcomed me with open arms, literally!

The kids were adorable as well. One little girl came up behind me during small group and started playing with my hair. She told me she liked it and I told her it was "loco" (humidity and my afro do not cooperate). the other kids followed us around and it was amazing to me how a little wave or simply a smile would lift up their faces. They wanted to watch us and be around us. The boys wanted Mike and Aaron to play with them all the time and by the end of the day Paula was teaching some kids English words as they taught her Spanish. I can only imagine the smile on God's face as he watched the interactions today. I imagine he was smiling from ear to ear, enjoying every second.

These experiences do make you think about your own life. "Regular" life, as quoted earlier, is not about the comforts we have in life - like air conditioning and bathrooms - but it is about our attitudes,  the way we act toward others, and the things we do. 1 Peter 2:12 says "Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day He visits us."

John was saying in a morning devotion that we will affect lives here that we may never know of. So we have to be careful knowing that our every move is being watched. Not to make us paranoid, but just to remind us that our everyday conduct - to strangers and family and friends alike - should reflect the attitude of love and service of Christ. As Christians this is the same in Michigan as it is in Honduras! We are all his hands and feet and we all can make a difference...sometimes without even knowing it.

Blessings
Emily

3 comments:

  1. I've read this several times and just read it to Don! Your life does make a difference precious one! Shine His Light and let the Love of Jesus flow thru you to those dear ones . . .

    ReplyDelete