Opening

On July 1, 2016 a team of missionaries from Elevate Church in Monroe Michigan will travel to Choluteca, Honduras to work with the Grand Commission Church to build a home and share the Gospel. The team will be working in the Brisas del Rio area serving and being served while on mission. The team will share our experiences and how God is changing our lives on this blog.

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Go And Make Disciples

Today was day 5 in Honduras, and I cannot believe we are half way done! This morning after breakfast we had our morning devotion. I was especially touched because the group opened up and shared a few personal stories that touched close to my heart. I felt so grateful they shared their past struggles and how God has helped them through. This is a pretty special group of people.

 
Next we got a quick tour of where the coffee is made. It was very interesting and VERY hot in that room! But seeing the process and the hard work behind something always makes you appreciate it more.

We then went back to work on the house some more. It was my first time mixing concrete but it was so fun! It was strange to me that we were literally mixing it on the ground; but hey, they know what they're doing! We poured concrete and got most of the floor done before it was time for lunch. Before we had to go, I had the privilege of spending some quality time with Melissa - my new BFF. She was very amused by my tattoos and we went back and forth learning the words for each (flower = flor, etc). She is the sweetest little girl. It's amazing how all these children want is affection and attention. I was so sweaty and full of dirt and all she wanted to do was hang on my arm and
lean on my shoulder. I feel like God gave her a spirit of humility and I know he is going to use her for very special things.

After lunch, we went into the city to a park where we began evangelizing to strangers. This was a little intimidating! It can be intimidating enough at home much less in a foreign country where you don't speak the language or completely understand the culture. You walk the fine line between trying to be polite and not offend anyone and boldly speaking the name of Jesus like Paul did. One of the girls even wanted to talk to some police men. You want to be bold and trust God but the rifles they were holding were not too comforting! They were gracious enough to not only listen but to interact with us. I was sad that they could not tell us that they would go to Heaven if they died. The one officer kept making excuses about not having time among other things. I pray some of the things we said helped them with a future decision. At the end of the conversation I was able to pray with and for them with an interpreter and that was truly an honor for me. They didn't shoot us, so they must not have been upset with our message!

Another lady we spoke with was very persistent in saying that we must confess ours sins and if we sin again then you are not "truly" saved so then you confess again creating a cycle. I tried to explain that for me personally I think of it as a father/daughter relationship. Once you accept Jesus you become a daughter of God. When you sin, yes of course you have to ask forgiveness. But your Father forgives you and loves you. He doesn't reject you - you will ALWAYS be His daughter and nothing you say or do could change that. Also, sometimes God allows us to mess up to teach us valuable lessons and to grow our faith, knowledge and skills - just as a good father would do. She seemed to continue to veer back to her original opinion, but there were 2 ladies sitting next to her in silence. I pray that what we said resonates with them and they are saved and experience the true love and grace that only comes with an intimate/personal relationship with Jesus.

Many people believe here that faith by works is how you "earn" your salvation. Please pray for them - that they would open their hearts and ears and that they would be presented with opportunities that support the truth of God's grace and love.

Blessings
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment