Opening

On July 1, 2016 a team of missionaries from Elevate Church in Monroe Michigan will travel to Choluteca, Honduras to work with the Grand Commission Church to build a home and share the Gospel. The team will be working in the Brisas del Rio area serving and being served while on mission. The team will share our experiences and how God is changing our lives on this blog.

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

No Coincidences - Just God

Another day done! Sadly we have passed the half way point. Although I miss my family/friends and my baby (Boston terrier), I am so grateful to be here. Usually I am counting the days (and some weeks I'm counting the minutes) to the weekend! This week is different. I am in a different part of the world physically and also mentally. This culture is such amazing proof that you can be happy with little earthly possessions and amenities.

It's hard to be specific with what part of this journey is my favorite. One thing that simply takes my breath away is the view of the mountains when we're riding to and from our destinations. I'm like my dad in the way that I feel a deep connection with and appreciation for nature. When I look at these mountains I think of Isaiah 52:7 “How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, “Your God reigns!”" I also think of how one day all of creation will bow down and worship the Lord. Uh-mazing.

Another thing I got from my dad (sorry mom!) is my love of music. All week I have had "Touch the Sky" by Hillsong playing in my head over and over...and over and over ( http://youtu.be/y1RQciil7B0 ). It's all about "upward falling" when we pray. What an amazing expression. Even more amazing is the way that God connects the dots for us in our lives. It is one of my favorite songs, but I didn't think much more of it being stuck in my head continuously. Then tonight it made sense.

We went back to the church tonight for worship through music and prayer. Hmm, prayer...coincidence? I think not. In fact, now that I think about it, I took a picture holding a praying mantis today! My God has such a sense of humor. Back to church...We sang songs that I knew so I sang them in English. Hopefully it didn't distract anyone if they could hear me but for me it was a very cool experience. We were singing in two different languages, yet praising God with the same words. When he spoke in between music breaks, as most worship leaders do, I had no idea what he was actually saying word for word but I knew in my heart what he was saying.

I've noticed this theme throughout my life, and especially in the last few years. Every single thing that comes my way is for a purpose. Sometimes it's a blessing and sometimes it's a lesson. I'm grateful for both and I'm grateful we serve a God who is full of love and grace. A God who wants us to succeed and isn't afraid to teach us lessons we need. Lessons that may not make sense until the opportunity or situation arises in which we need it. I came across a quote today that read "the genius of God is to dwell where we would least likely look."

I'm grateful for the people I've met and gotten to know on this journey. Each one of them serve a purpose in my life and in each other's. This is a very special group of people and I pray that each one of them is blessed with God's peace, joy, love, patience and understanding.

Blessings
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment